Sunday, April 21, 2013

Girl Scouts Leader's Buffet training

Yesterday, I attended 2 trainings for becoming a Girl Scout leader.  I attended:  Jumpstart to Journeys and Songs, Games, and Ceremonies.

The Journey series are completely different from when I was a Girl Scout.  They now pursue a "path" to take and can customize the set of patches that they work toward.  When I was a kid, I simply worked on whichever patches that the leader chose.  There is also much more of a focus on it being led by the girls.  My mom led my troop when I was a kid, and I definitely felt like we were guests of her troop.

In the second class, I realized how informal my troop had been as a kid.  The only song that I knew was Make New Friends.  I learned many songs there, including:  Girl Scouts Together, Fred the Moose, The Water Cycle Song, and Hello.

I was also not familiar with any of the ceremonies, except for the ones that are also practiced by Cub Scouts.  I learned a lot, but I was also kinda disappointed with how little I learned as a Girl Scout.  I am very glad that I am continuing my "education" to provide the best scouting experience possible to my daughter and her troop when we get it started this fall.

Thanks for reading!

 - Vanessa

No comments:

Post a Comment