Thursday, January 24, 2013

My Son's First Play Date

My son has a neighbor boy over on his first real play date.  My son and daughter have had many neighbor kids over, but most were kids I was babysitting.  About 2 years ago, we moved into a neighborhood where I knew some of the other parents from elementary school.  My kids and their kids play together quite a bit, but they're really more like family, as I've known their parents for as long as I can remember.

This little boy is from one of the few families that I haven't known my entire life.  He is a grade older than my son.  I'm a little picky about that, as my son is the "baby" of his class, with a late summer birthday, so even the kids in his grade are a year or two older than him.  It really is a trend in this area to hold kids, especially boys, back a year before beginning Kindergarten.  Honestly, had we had the financial means for my son to attend preschool for another year, I would have put him in it for another year, instead of sending him to Kindergarten right away.

Most of the kids in this neighborhood are girls, unfortunately for my son.  This is a good thing for my daughter, as I can be a little more choosy about who she plays with, as there are many girls in here.  Unfortunately, my son gets stuck playing mostly with girls.  He is getting to an age where he wants to make friends with other boys, instead of hanging out with all girls.  There are only 3 boys in our neighborhood that are close to his age, so that doesn't leave much of a selection.  The kid that he's hanging out with today is a little whiny and dorky, but, looking back, most of my friends were a little dorky, too.  I guess I'd rather he hang out with a whiny kid than a trouble maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment