Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Is Your Toilet Running?

My water bill was outrageous last month!  It showed 3 times as much water usage as normal!  I called the city's billing department to discuss the bill and the reasons for it.  I suggested that maybe my next-door-neighbors could be stealing water.  (If you knew them, it would not be beyond the realm of possibility.)  They had a suggestion that I wanted to share.

I put food coloring in the toilet's tank and waited to see if the food coloring would seep into the toilet bowl.  I also left the lid off of the toilet tank.  With the combination of the lid being off and being able to hear the normally muffled leak, and being able to see the pink water in the bowl, I was able to show my landlord and the maintenance guy the leaking toilet.  Hopefully, this will solve the issue, and I'll stop having $100 water bills!

I hope this can help someone as much as it did for me!


 - Vanessa

No comments:

Post a Comment