Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Homemade Ravioli - Wolf Cub Scout Requirement 8C

At the last den meeting, the boys were given homework.  They have to work on most of the requirements for Achievement 8 - Cooking and Eating with their family.  Leave it to me to pick such a difficult choice as ravioli!  I've always wanted to try making it and thought it would be fun to involve the kids.

We found a basic recipe online that just called for white flour, eggs, and olive oil.  I use at least a white/wheat flour mix for health reasons.  My hubby has diabetes and wheat flour is healthier than white, so it's all that I have on hand.  I should have bought some just for this, as the ravioli thickened a little and had a bread-y texture.  It was good, overall, though.  We also made the recipe by hand, rolling out the dough, and all.

Like the recipe said, we divided the dough in half into 2 balls and let them sit to let the gluten relax.


We used ricotta, feta, and spinach for the filling.  It was a great choice, if I do say so myself :)


Like I said, I rolled out the dough with a roller.  I don't have a pastry cutter, so I used our Star Trek Enterprise pizza cutter instead of a knife just because it was more fun :)


We made some large and medium sized raviolis just to see the differences.  There really wasn't much of a difference.  I couldn't master the small ones at all, lol.



And one of the finished plates


This was a lot of fun!  Like I said, my recipe leaves a lot of room for improvement, but it was fun to involve the kids!

Thanks for reading!

 - Vanessa

No comments:

Post a Comment