Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Organizing the Kitchen

I spent most of the day organizing the kitchen with quite a bit of help from my kids.  As I've said before, I am horrible at taking "before" pics.  So, you'll just have to trust me that it looks a lot better.  I have a couple of pics for a comparison of sorts, though.


Here is a view of entering the kitchen.  The only big change there is that the kids' table is now gone.  They have had a little wooden table and plastic chairs since we have lived here.  They are both going to be in elementary school next year and are getting too tall and heavy for those, as they really are made for more toddler-sized children.  We got their little table because their booster seats for the big table were too wide for the chairs and it was too dangerous to have them sit in something where they could tilt over and hurt themselves.


I had a big box that I'd saved from the food dehydrator that my hubby bought last year (and we love) and some ceramic/pottery items sitting on top of the china hutch.  I decided to move the pottery into the china hutch, since we have so little china pieces.  The food dehydrator had been sitting on the "window sill" in the kitchen/living room wall.  However, every time I sit on the couch, it falls onto me.  Luckily, it has only fallen on me when not in use.  I decided to move it on top of the china hutch when not in use.





The shelving space on the hutch used to be primarily plastic grocery bags.  I'll talk more about them shortly.  I decided to make the open space half for dog accessories and then the large box that was on the top.  I went through my other cupboard to get rid of the extra cereal boxes.  From being on WIC, we have accumulated more cereal than I know what to do with.  I'll probably donate them to the food bank.  First, I'll check with my neighbors to see if anyone can use any.  The kids are on the Weekend Food program through their schools.  In order to give this great program justice, I'll dedicate an entire entry to them another time.  I put all of their loose individually portioned cereals in this box, too.  Hopefully, this will make them feel a little more empowered, too.  They will be able to choose and get their own cereal when we have this for breakfast.  My kids are pretty spoiled, though, and we typically eat eggs and meat for breakfast. 

The plastic bags hanging down are filled with plastic bottle caps, toilet paper rolls, and other recycled goodies just waiting for a project.  As I've mentioned, I'm going to be my daughter's Girl Scout troop leader.  I'm a little over-zealous at times, but I try to recycle and reuse as much as possible.

Back to the grocery bags.  This open section of the hutch was almost completely filled with plastic grocery bags.  I try to recycle as much as possible.  We do reuse plastic grocery bags, but we had enough to probably last for a lifetime.  I am going to donate them to the food bank, as I'm sure they will have a better use for them than just sitting there.  I kept half of a large bag full.  I'm sure that it will fill up again in no time from shopping.



As always, I am in a state of change with my house and I'm sure that there is still lots to do.

Thanks for reading!

 - Vanessa

No comments:

Post a Comment