Friday, December 21, 2012

Red Scarf Project

I was very happy this year when I was looking for a service project for myself to give back to the community somehow.  I was happy to find the Red Scarf Project.  Granted, I already donate some clothes and food to local food banks and I also donate blood at the blood bank regularly.  I have even donated hair once to Locks of Love.  That project took about 2 years.

I was looking for something more of a creative outlet.  I have made one scarf so far and sent it in.  Right now, I'm pretty busy with making some homemade Christmas presents, including a few scarves and a couple of hats.  I also plan on making more time for exercise and losing weight before summer gets here.  I do plan on making a few more scarves to donate to the Red Scarf Project next year.  I think that donating time and a little effort for foster children attending college is a very worthy cause and will manage to make a few scarves next year.  They have a limited amount of time in which they are accepting the scarves.  Here is the website, if you would like to know more about this project! http://www.fc2success.org/programs/red-scarf-project-and-book-club/.

I crocheted this particular scarf, though they accept knit/crochet/etc. for the scarves.  When I was a child, I was taught to knit, crochet, cross stitch, quilt, and I'm sure there were a couple of other crafts that I knew.  I've been out of practice for about 20 years and am re-learning some of these.  I would love to be able to teach my kids how to do these someday.

Thanks for reading!

 - Vanessa


   

No comments:

Post a Comment