Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mom and Me camp out

My son and I spent Friday night and most of Saturday at our local Boy Scout camp.  It was a lot of fun!  I had never been to Boy Scout camp before.  I went to Girl Scout camp once when I was in Brownies and church camp once with a Mormon friend of mine.



I had never slept in a bunkhouse like this before.  The Cub Scouts and their moms stayed in adjoining bunkhouses with a door in between the rooms.  The moms stayed on one side of the cabin and the boys stayed on the other.  Each side had their own bathroom.

To pack for the trip, I read the vague descriptions listed on the website and the recommended items to bring along.  No where on there did it mention showers, so I didn't pack towels or shampoo.  Of course, there turned out to be showers :/  Oh well, it was only one day of being stinky.


My favorite item that we brought along was one we found at Goodwill, a vintage metal Boy Scouts canteen with a red cover.  It held lots of water and having a handle on it was very useful, especially with all the hiking.

We ate in the mess hall, which I don't believe I had ever done before.  The food was pretty good.  For breakfast, I had french toast, sausage, yogurt, milk, and fruit.  For lunch, I had a taco salad.


The activities were very fun!  There was:  a fire demonstration, BB Guns at the shooting range, archery at the range, a nature hike, and the boys made a kaleidoscope.  I took a gun safety course about 17 years ago.  I was very rusty at it, but I was ok at it.  I had done archery before!  I used a simple long bow.  It was really hard to maintain the tension on it and my arm was really shaky.  The boys used youth compound bows.  I wish I had used that instead, but they thought I was too strong for it.  Cub Scout was a little discouraged the first time, as the arrows didn't reach the target.  He did much better the second time.  I think we did about the same.





The nature hike was very nice.  The boys learned the different types of vegetation growing there.  The last activity was making a kaleidoscope with cardboard rolls, tape, and beads.


The staff at the camp did a morning flag ceremony and one at the closing ceremony.  I don't believe that I had ever attended one at camp before.  I had seen them at school assemblies and was taught how to fold a flag in middle school.  I'm still not sure why I learned that in gym class, though I guess I'm glad to know how, if I had to.

They did a night ceremony down by the lake and did a beautiful flag retirement ceremony.  It was so dark that none of the pics really turned out.  Each cabin of boys did a skit at the fireside ceremony, too.  My son's cabin did the "We Don't Have a Skit" skit.  It was pretty cute!

Luckily, my son seems to have my taste in souvenirs.  He wanted a patch to add to his brag vest  At the camp store, they said that we'd get a patch at the end of day, so he chose a totem slide for his neckerchief.  

I kinda wish I would have let him get the camp's patch.  They are starting a new tradition with the different types of camps that they offer.  The camp's patch is the top of a totem pole.  He also received another piece of the totem to represent the Mom and Me camp that we attended.  The idea is that when they go to the different types of camps, they will build their totem pole of patches.  It's a cool idea, but we'll try to purchase the specific patch to the camp before it's completely fazed out.  

Cub also picked out a cub scout cookie cutter for his sister for a souvenir.  Tumbling Girl loves to play with Play Doh and to cut out shapes with cookie cutters.  She loved it, but has yet to play with it.

At the end of the day, Cub received a certificate and his totem patches.  I'll have to figure out if the patches are meant to be sewn on or ironed on, so I have to call the scout store tomorrow.  I'll post a pic once they are added.  Since this was Mother's Day weekend, I also received a rose for attending.

It was a lot of fun!  I hope the hubby will attend with him next year for the Lad and Dad.  He'd love shooting the BB Guns and I don't believe that he's ever done archery, though he'd like it.



Thanks for reading!

 - Vanessa

No comments:

Post a Comment